Thank you for giving service as secretary of your group. OA continues to be available for every compulsive eater seeking recovery because of your service.
Registering a meeting ensures it will be listed in the WSO’s directory. The group secretary connects the meeting to the WSO, making sure that the WSO has current meeting and contact information. He or she is also responsible for distributing information from the WSO and service body—such as newsletters, surveys and other mail—to group members. When changes to the meeting details occur, submit them to the WSO using the registration/change forms on the Web site. It is vital that groups keep their meeting information up to date.
The following links contain information that can help you carry out your group secretary responsibilities. Please make copies of the PDF documents for yourself and your group.
- Abstinence Literature Resource Guide — a focused list of OA-approved literature that can help newcomers and sponsees understand, obtain, and maintain abstinence.
- Seventh Tradition of OA — Pamphlet detailing the vital recovery services supported by the Seventh Tradition at all levels and how the groups carry the message through their contributions. Order more pamphlets from our online bookstore.
- Seventh-Tradition Skits — By having fun and using humor, your group or service body can help OA members understand the direct benefits their contributions provide to the Fellowship.
- Contributions Form — Can be used for group or individual contributions sent to the WSO. Make several copies for your group to have on hand.
- Secretaries Maintain the Connection — Shows you how to keep your group information current!
- Strong Abstinence Checklist — For today, use this checklist to strengthen your Recovery, and reinforce the gift of Abstinence in your life. You may also use it as the focus for meetings and workshops.
- Strong Meeting Checklist — Helps you assess your meetings to see areas for improvement. Contains 13 items, including everything from starting and ending times to avoiding cross talk and advice-giving.
- Unity with Diversity Checklist — This checklist for OA groups and service bodies is offered in the spirit of Overeaters Anonymous’ Third Tradition and the OA Unity With Diversity Policy Statement. This checklist is not meant to be exhaustive, nor can it be. As we continue to grow, so does our understanding of diversity. These questions are only a starting point for reflection and discussion.
- Suggested Meeting Format — Designed for meetings of all sizes, the format highlights abstinent sponsors, Seventh-Tradition contributions, and Lifeline subscriptions. The meeting format now includes the Abridged Tools of Recovery, which makes it fast and easy to review all nine tools. And as always, the format contains Our Invitation to You and the list of the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions.
- Suggested Telephone Meeting Format — A meeting format available for phone meetings.
- Lifeline Meeting Format — Another format your group might consider, which gives a structure for a meeting that uses material from Lifeline magazine.
- Suggested Step Study Meeting Format — This suggested format offers a structure for working through the Twelve Steps in six sessions.
- Suggested Young Persons’ Meeting Format — This suggested format is recommended for special focus meetings for OA members under 30 years of age.
- Newcomer Meeting Guidelines and Format — This document can help structure meetings for newcomers.
- Our Invitation to You — A summary of what OA offers and how it can help the still suffering compulsive eater find recovery.
- Registration/Change Form — Submit changes for your groups with this form or use the appropriate online registration/change form for your area.
- Literature Catalog — You can print the catalog and the order form for group or individual use. You can also order online.
- Literature Order Form — Use these extra forms to order through the mail or by telephone/fax.
- A Step Ahead — WSO’s quarterly newsletter for OA members, groups and service bodies. Look for information about issues important to the Fellowship. The newsletter is only available online and contains a link to a PDF version for easy printing and distribution at meetings.
If you would prefer to receive the PDF documents in the mail, please email or call the WSO at 505-891-2664.