Thank you for giving service as treasurer of your group. OA continues to be available for every compulsive eater seeking recovery because of your service.
The treasurer usually keeps clear, simple records and keeps the group informed about how much is taken in and how it is spent. The treasurer makes a brief monthly report to the group and/or the steering committee.
The treasurer may also have these responsibilities:
- At the election, the outgoing treasurer should have on hand bank signature cards for the incoming treasurer and other signatories to sign and return to the bank without delay so the transfer is completed promptly.
- Bring the checkbook to all meetings.
- Maintain the checkbook and issue checks for all expenses.
- Receive and count collections at meetings assisted by the group secretary or delegate.
- Receive money in payment for literature.
- Make deposits weekly, as soon as possible following meetings.
- At each business meeting, make records available for any interested member.
- At business or steering committee meetings, ask for instructions regarding disbursement of surplus funds and try to establish percentages to be contributed to intergroup, delegate fund, region and WSO.
Experience has shown that problems can be avoided by electing, if possible, a treasurer with perhaps six months of abstinence, a committed involvement in program and some familiarity with bank statements. It is also a good idea to keep group funds in a separate bank account that requires two signatures on each check. Many banks provide checking accounts with no service charge to non-profit organizations.
—(OA Handbook for Members, Groups and Service Bodies, pp. 12-13)
The following links contain information that can help you carry out your group treasurer responsibilities:
- FAQ for Treasurers
- Intergroup Treasurer Guidelines
- Budget Guidelines for Service Bodies
- Fundraising and Prudent Reserve Guidelines for Groups and Service Bodies
- Seventh Tradition Skits
- Seventh Tradition of OA
- Seventh Tradition of OA (Translatable Version)
- Contribution Form
- OA Handbook for Members, Groups, and Service Bodies #120
Section for Treasurers is on pages 11-13
- Seventh Tradition of OA pamphlet #802