View the current email loop list updated 9/8/14.
Types of Email Loops
At WSBC 2014, the delegates approved courtesy listings for email loops. There are three basic types of loops:
- Discussion loops, which are similar to “the meeting after the meeting” where members discuss topics together, often with crosstalk and advice giving and sometimes going off topic.
- Loops that are fashioned after OA meetings where members share once on a specified topic with no feedback from the other members.
- Business loops that are used to facilitate the OA business for groups and service bodies, both face-to-face and virtual.
Email Loops Courtesy Listing Form
To courtesy list an email loop, please complete the email loop listing form and send to the WSO for processing.
The email loops courtesy listing will be updated monthly.
Email Loops Policy (WSBC Policy 2014a)
Overeaters Anonymous email groups, commonly called loops (groups that do not meet in real time), may list their group on www.oa.org as a courtesy listing with the following criteria:
- Email groups must comply with the definition of an Overeaters Anonymous group as per OA, Inc. Bylaws, Subpart B, Article V – Overeaters Anonymous Groups, Section 1 – Definition, a) 1-4 and b) 1-2.
- The topic and/or focus of the email group are consistent with those listed on www.oa.org for Overeaters Anonymous face-to-face and virtual groups.
- New members must be informed of the loops policies, norms and practices.
- Archives are to be deleted at least once a month unless the loop’s policies dictate otherwise.
- Email groups are moderated to stay on topic.
- The format of the email groups is structured similarly to a registered OA group. Postings to email groups are limited to the topic, the Twelve Steps, the Twelve Traditions or the Twelve Concepts of OA Service. Feedback, crosstalk and advice-giving are discouraged.
- Each email group will have a coordinator who registers the loop with an email service provider and a secretary who will liaise with the OA World Service Office.